Redocly OpenAPI CLI is an open source command-line tool used to:
- Lint and bundle your OpenAPI definition(s).
- Decorate your APIs (add or remove data).
- Preview reference docs for local development.
- Split single-file OpenAPI files into a multi-file format.
- Integrate with Redocly's API registry (coming soon).
- Build production-ready reference docs (requires an Enterprise license key).
Redocly OpenAPI CLI does not:
- Integrate to Redocly's API Registry - instead, integrate by connecting to your source control, uploading a file, or directly linking to a URL.
- Structure your OpenAPI repository - instead, use our Create OpenAPI repo tool.
Redocly OpenAPI CLI can be:
- Extended by writing custom rules and decorators.
Currently, Redocly OpenAPI CLI supports these features:
- Multi-file validation. No need to bundle your files before validation.
- Support for remote
- Configurable severity levels for each rule. Tailor your experience with Redocly OpenAPI CLI to suit your needs.
- Lightning-fast validation. Check a 1 MB file in less than one second.
- Human-readable error messages. Now with stacktraces and codeframes.
- Intuitive suggestions for misspelled types or references.
- Easy-to-implement custom rules. Need something? Ask us or do it yourself.
- Bundle a multi-file definition into a single file for compatibility with external tools.
- Preview reference docs.
- Support for OAS 3.0 and Swagger 2 (OAS 3.1 is coming soon).
Unlike other OpenAPI validators, Redocly OpenAPI CLI defines the possible type tree of a valid OpenAPI definition and then traverses it. This approach is very similar to how compilers work, and results in major performance benefits over other approaches.
Redocly OpenAPI CLI comes with a set of built-in rules, but you can extend its functionality by creating your own rules. Both the lint and the bundle features follow the visitor pattern for adding custom behavior on the parsed object.
@redocly/openapi-cli locally or run it with
npx @redocly/openapi-cli <command> [options]
npm install -g @redocly/openapi-cli
yarn global add @redocly/openapi-cli
After installing it locally, run
openapi -h to confirm the installation was successful. The output shows the list of supported commands and brief instructions for using them. General usage syntax is the following:
openapi <command> [options]
Read more about supported commands in Redocly OpenAPI CLI.
The source code is available in the OpenAPI-CLI GitHub repository.